Strollingbanner
iambitelogo1

About Me

My photo

The art of Justin HilIgrove. sketch, draw and paint monsters, robots and imps.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Crossing Wonderland

It has been awhile since I’ve posted anything here, so I figured I’d throw up a few progress shots of “Crossing Wonderland”. I wish I had taken a few more, but I didn’t…



It has been some time since I painted anything Alice-related so I was itching to do a new one. Originally I was going to have Alice riding the white rabbit – I painted a little watercolor piece awhile back that I was going to base it on but as I started to sketch, the idea of her riding the Cheshire cat seemed so much more interesting to me. Blame all those early years spent watching He-Man ride BattleCat into the fray. 



I still wanted to include the white rabbit though and so turning him into her stuffed companion just seemed to fit. I think it gives her a more youthful, innocent feel – more in need of the Cheshire cat’s protection. Though by the cat’s grin its hard to say what his intentions are.

I wanted to make the woods menacing, or at least inhabited and I toyed with the idea of populating it with some denizens of Wonderland. In the end I decided on a tribe of native cards (wild cards) that the Queen of Hearts had not indentured.

I was happy with how this piece turned out. My favorite part of the painting is the caterpillar sitting on the mushroom. I like to think he is whispering some advice to her as she passes. Something like, “You probably shouldn’t ride cats – they’re trouble.”

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! The Alice books are two of my favorites of all time (and Carroll's work in general is genius). The ambiguous nature of the Cheshire cat is awesome (what a grin!), and the mood and details - the caterpillar, the cards in the background - are so great. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Cheshire cat one. He does look so...impish. I also love all the other works on your website. They're so interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Google+ Followers

THE ART OF JUSTIN HILLGROVE Strollingbanner