Strollingbanner
iambitelogo1

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

New Pieces for Ltd. Gallery show happening April 2013

I thought I'd give a sneakpeak of what I've been working on. These paintings are for a show happening in April 2013 at the Ltd. Gallery in Seattle, WA. Ltd is a pop art gallery and so all the pieces I will be showing there will be tributes and parodies. (Some of these aren't even titled yet). I've always enjoyed painting tributes of my favorite things, so I'm thrilled to be working on an entire body of work based on some of my artistic influences, favorite characters, stories, etc. Anyways, hope you like...

Here's the show info:

 

 

"Icons & Influences" at Ltd. Gallery
Group show with Mike Capp - April 2013

30 - 40 new paintings by Justin Hillgrove and Mike Capp. All of the pieces will feature favorite pop/cult icons with the usual Hillgrove or Capp spin.



Peanuts / Army of Darkness (Evil Dead III) tribute (©2012 Justin Hillgrove)



Studio Ghibli (Hayao Miyazaki) / Where The Wild Things Are tribute (Maurice Sendak)

Left to Right: Princess Mononoke, Totoro, the Deer God (from Princess Mononoke), No Face (Spirited Away), Howl (Howl's Moving Castle), Automaton (Laputa: Castle in the Sky) (©2012 Justin Hillgrove)


Where The Wild Things Are (Maurice Sendak) / The Usual Supects tribute (©2012 Justin Hillgrove)



39 comments:

  1. Peanut Ash and the Rise of the Necronomicon

    Peace and Respect,

    Mark Belnay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shop Smart Shop S-Mart


    Joanna Ortega

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the zombie apocalypse, Charlie Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trapped in Time, Surrounded by Evil,...Good Grief!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here are some of my thoughts for the Charlie Brown image...

    "Charlie Brown: Peanuts Killer", "No More Mister Nice Guy", "Pistol Packin' Charlie", "Satan's Waitin'", "Variations on a Mexican Hat Dance", "Nightmare on Peanuts Avenue", "Goodnight Assholes" "Great Pumpkin My Ass!", "The nightmare before a Charlie Brown Christmas"...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zombies, A Red Head, I'm The Block Head With A Gun... Groovy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. id name it Peanuts Turned to Ash.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trapped on a doghouse
    Surrounded by blockheads
    Low on gas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. They will be for sale in April 2013 at the show through Ltd. Gallery. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I want a print of the Wild Things one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not so wishy-washy now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. sooooo....if i got the Studio Ghibli/ Where the Wild Things Are as a tattoo...would you be cool with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it. I'd love to see a pic if you do. Cheers.

      Delete
  13. These are fantastic! (I think that would make a great tattoo too! Awesome, I want to see it as well...) I hope I'm in town and can stop by to pick up a piece!.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are fantastic! (I think that would make a great tattoo too! Awesome, I want to see it as well...) I hope I'm in town and can stop by to pick up a piece!.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any chance there will be prints available online, either through you or the gallery?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any chance there will be prints available online, either through you or the gallery?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to know that as well - I would love to get a copy of the Studio Ghibli one - we are *huge* Miyazaki fans!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello from the UK. Plus one here for a print of the Studio Ghibli/Where The Wild Things Are tribute, really love it.

    Might it be possible?

    Thanks,

    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would be more than happy to buy a print of the Studio Ghibli one as well. Thanks for including the little Kodama, too!! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Re: PRINTS - Thanks for all the kind words! The original painting as well as limited edition gicleés will be available from Ltd. Gallery starting in April 2013. Open edition prints and gicleé prints will also be available to order at that same time from my website - Sign up for my newsletter on my homepage http://www.impsandmonsters.com and you'll get an email as soon as they are available.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just signed up for the newsletter, look forward to prints becoming available.

    Thanks,

    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great stuff! Would love it if these became available on T-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes im on the edge of my seat waiting to buy the Studio Ghibli/ Where the Wild Things Are, print!!! It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes im on the edge of my seat waiting to buy the Studio Ghibli/ Where the Wild Things Are, print!!! It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Studio Ghibli (Hayao Miyazaki) / Where The Wild Things Are tribute (Maurice Sendak) piece should TOTALLY be made into an American Library Association "READ" poster http://www.alastore.ala.org/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=219

    ReplyDelete
  26. Will the Peanuts/Ash be available for purchase? I know you said at the showing in April but what about on your site? Boy would I love to get that for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You should totally put the 'Where the Wild Things Are' on deviantART. So many people would love and feature your work. There is nothing like this on there and it would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete

THE ART OF JUSTIN HILLGROVE Strollingbanner